Saturday 23 February 2013

Unexpected lunch at Bar44 Cowbridge - food blog, restaurant review






On our way to Southerndown for an amazing coastal walk with my Mum and wife in tow (I am a lucky lucky man, they actually like each other) I tweeted asking for a suggestion for lunch and Bar 44 in Cowbridge came back. Initially we were heading to The Pelican in Her Piety but I've been wanting to try Bar44 for some time now as I love tapas, having been to Granada and Cordoba in recent years. Granada was a fantastic trip and the fact they give you free tapas with your first drink in most bars makes it even better.

Bar44 is located above Tesco express on Cowbridge high street, which is rather unfortunate, but has obviously overcome this on street presence as they have recently opened in Penarth.



As we were driving, alcohol was off the menu, which is a shame as the cocktail menu appeared to have a comprehensive list of classics, as well as their own interesting concoctions. We started off with just some simple bread and oil (£3.50). The olive oil is some of the tastiest I have ever tried and the addition of rock salt made it even more moreish. Soon to follow came seven dishes between three of us, as we chose off the menu del dia, which gives you a bargain 3 dishes for £10 or 6 for £18. Alternatively, you can choose off their normal menu or even the specials.




The chorizo in cider (£4.25) was just lovely. Thin slices of tender paprika pork sausage covered in reduced cider and oil - yum.




Lamb meatballs in tomato sauce were tasty but not quite as good as I've had elsewhere.


Fresh anchovies (Boquerones) in vinegar not oil (£4.25) allowed them to remain soft and milder in flavour and damn tasty. We love them but not everybody likes cold fish!


The classic Manchego cheese (£4) had a firm buttery texture and creamy sheep's milk tang to it and came with quince jelly and lightly toasted olive bread.


The pimento padrons were a request of my mum, not something I would have chosen. Apparently her favourite when on holiday in Spain. These are mini green peppers that have been pan fried and sprinkled with rock salt. Not my favourite but I did seem to eat quite a lot of them.

The cecina croquetas were stunning; crispy on the outside with a smoky air dried beef and creamy cheese filling. Some of the best we've ever come across and my wife's favourite; I was only allowed one!

Our last tapas dish came half way through ,the hake in San Miguel batter and saffron aioli. Unfortunately we devoured it before I could take a photo. Highly recommended as the batter was wonderfully light and crispy, the hake meaty and succulent, the saffron aioli delicately flavoured and not overpowered with garlic. Delicious!


Believe it or not we had desserts for lunch as well, much deserved I thought after a two hour walk. The Almond and Lemon cake served with lemon syrup and creme fraiche (£2.95) reminded me of eating marzipan a little but was delicately flavoured and definitely "a good bake". The deep fried mint leaf garnish was completely beyond me. Looked foul and should never have been allowed on the plate. The only real let down of the whole experience. For some reason it really annoyed me, more than it would do normally.




The cinnamon dusted churros with Pedro Ximenez (an amazing sweet dark dessert sherry) chocolate sauce (£3.95) were definitely the best I have ever come across. The doughnut batter was incredibly light and just melted in the mouth. I would personally have preferred a dark chocolate sauce as it would have contrasted wonderfully to the sweetness of the churros.

The service was polite and friendly although initially we weren't sure whether we were meant to order from the bar or our table, they did come and do table service. The rather poor stairway entrance to Bar 44 could do with a spruce up as could their toilets, as they let down what was a thoroughly good experience. If I hadn't known about them before I wouldn't be tempted to walk up that staircase to find out. Our bill came to £42.90 which included three coffees (£4.50) and a tea (£1.50). I felt that this was absolutely amazing value for the quality of the food and ingredients that we were served, and look forward to trying Bar44 in Penarth in the future.

Address: Bar 44, 44 High St, Cowbridge, CF71 7AG
Tel: 01446 776488
Closed on Monday nights






1 comment:

  1. I have been reliably informed that a paint job is coming soon to the areas I mentioned. Thanks to Bar44 for the update

    ReplyDelete